How to set up and use an Amazon Firestick in Spain for BBC iPlayer
Can you use an Amazon Firestick in Spain ? Yes you can.
Can you use an Amazon Firestick for BBC iPlayer in Spain ? Yes you can.
We will show you how you can set up and use an Amazon Firestick for use with the likes of BBC iPlayer in Spain with our beginner-friendly step by step instructions.
Amazon Firestick in Spain
The Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV devices are excellent.
However the Amazon Firesticks and Fire TV are not yet officially available in Spain.
So you will need to get one from another country, or get one ordered from Amazon to a UK address, since Amazon do not send these to a Spanish Address.
However, once you connect the Amazon Firestick to your TV and your internet network, then you may notice some of the features don’t work.
For example, if you’re trying to use the BBC iPlayer whilst in Spain then you will find the content blocked.
The good news is you can unlock most of this content in Spain.
Unlocking blocked content on a Firestick in Spain
To do this you are going to need the help of a Smart DNS service.
A Smart DNS service works by disguising the location you are connecting to the internet from.
So, for example the BBC iPlayer is restricted to watching from within the UK only. If you try to watch the BBC iPlayer in Spain you are going to be blocked from viewing the content. A Smart DNS service changes your online location so it appears as if you are in the UK even though you’re still in Spain.
Smart DNS or VPN?
A Smart DNS service and a VPN basically do the same sort of thing, ie hide or change your internet IP address.
We have found that Smart DNS services tend to be better than VPNs, especially for speeds, ease of use, and price.
Which Smart DNS Service
There are many companies offering Smart DNS services.
But we have found a Smart DNS service that works well in unlocking BBC iPlayer content on a Firestick.
The Smart DNS services work really well with the Firestick and BBC iPlayer.
More information on this Smart DNS services, and now to set up accounts can be found HERE (opens in a new tab)
Setting up your Smart DNS service on your Amazon Firestick
(These instructions assume that you have already set up your Amazon Firestick to your internet network, and already tried to access BBC iPlayer without success!)
1 . Make sure you Amazon Firestick is connected to your TVs HDMI input, the USB power cable is connected to a USB port on your TV (or electrical socket using a USB power plug), and your TV is turned on and on the correct HDMI input.
You will see the Amazon Firestick logo when the Amazon Firestick is powering up.
2. When the Amazon Firestick is loaded up you will see the Amazon Firestick Home screen.
3. Navigate to “Settings” using your Amazon Firestick remote
4. Navigate to “Network” using your Amazon Firestick remote
5. When you access the Network settings, you will see that your Amazon Firestick is already connected to your home internet Wifi network. So navigate to your home internet Wifi network, and press the “three horizontal lines” button on your Amazon Firestick remote to “forget” and disconnect from your home internet Wifi network.
Your home internet Wifi network will now become “Available”
6. Select your home internet Wifi network, and you will be asked to input your home internet Wifi network password.
7. Use the on screen keyboard to input your home internet Wifi network.
But DO NOT PRESS “CONNECT” when finished.
Instead press “Advanced”
If you do not press “Advanced” then you will connect to your home internet Wifi network without setting up the Smart DNS service correctly.
8. Input the required IP address for your Amazon Firestick and Click Next .
This will be the first three groups of numbers exactly the same as the IP address of your router. As an example, if your router IP is 192.168.1.1, then use the IP address 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is a number between 1 and 255…although bear in mind other devices connected to your router may already be using numbers 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 etc ..so best choose and IP address like 192.168.1.123, which may not already be taken up by another device.
9. Input IP of your router and Click Next . For example, if your router IP is 192.168.1.1 use that.
10. Input 24 for the Network Prefix Length and Click Next
11. Enter thee Smart DNS server IPs to DNS1 and DNS 2 options and Click Next
These will be available from your Smart DNS serveice, on your account dashboard, or a separate link. Always select the closest DNS server to your physical location for DNS1 and select the 2nd closest DNS server to your physical location for DNS2.
12. Your Amazon Firestick will then connect to your home internet Wifi network, using the Smart DNS services servers.
13. Return to your Amazon Firesticks Home page, and select the BBC iPlayer app
(if you do not have the BBC iPlayer app on your Firestick please go HERE see how to add the BBC iPlayer app to your Firestick)
14. The BBC iPlayer app will start to load.
15. You will have to log into your BBC ID to have access to the BBC iPlayer app. Select the BBC ID profile you want to use.
You can create a BBC ID here : https://account.bbc.com/account
16. The BBC iPlayer Home page will open.
17. Select the programme you want to watch.
18. Wait whilst the programme loads up.
19. Watch your programme.